Dr. Konda is an Optometrist, who has specialised in ocular surface inflammation and contact lenses. His ocular surface and myopia lab at University of Hyderabad conducts research in the area of ocular surface effect in refractive surgery, antimicrobial contact lenses and myopia and its risk factors. He joined as an Assistant Professor, School of Medical Sciences, University of Hyderabad in March 2017 after working with Prof. Mark Willcox as a research Associate at University of New South Wales to study the safety and efficacy of Antimicrobial contact lenses. Dr. Konda has worked with Brien Holden Vision Pvt. Ltd. India, a Subsidiary Company of Prof. Brien Holden Vision Institute, Sydney, Australia. He was instrumental in establishing Brien Holden Vision Pvt. Ltd to conduct translation research and commercialisation work at Hyderabad, India to conduct biomedical research to bring innovative medical devices from lab to the market. He was a recipient of prestigious Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (EIPRS) from the Australian government between 2009 and 2013. He is a research Board member for the Kolkata Vision Research Centre. He is part of national and international research and academic grants.
Ocular surface inflammation, dry eyes, antimicrobial contact lenses, myopia, and eye care innovations.
- Nagaraju Konda and Mark DP Willcox. “Review of Inflammation and infection in contact lens wearers: Risk factors and association with single nucleotide polymorphisms”. J Ocular Biol, October 2013; 1(2): 9.
- Nagaraju Konda, Swapna R Motukupally, Mark DP Willcox et al. “Microbial analyses of contact lens-associated microbial keratitis”. Optom Vis Sci. 2014 Jan; 91(1):47-53.
- Nagaraju Konda. “Ocular photography contest. Grand prize: Anterior segment: Crystalline lens subluxation with intact zonules in Marfan’s syndrome”. Optom Vis Sci. 2012 Nov;89(11):e98-9.
- Aasuri MK, Venkata N, Kumar VM. Differential Diagnosis of Microbial Keratitis and Contact Lens Induced Peripheral Ulcer. Eye Conact Lens 2003; Jan;29(1 Suppl):S60-62; discussion S83-4, S192-4.
- Nagaraju Venkata, Savitri Sharma, Rashmi Gora, Rajni Chhabra, Murali K Aasuri. Clinical presentation of microbial keratitis with daily wear frequent replacement hydrogel lenses: A case series. Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmology 2002 Jul;28(3):165-68
- Aasuri MK, Venkata N, Preetam P, Rao NT. Management of pediatric aphakia with silsoft contact lenses. Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmology 1999 Oct;25(4):209-12.
- Sharma S, Sankaridurg PR, Venkata N, Pothuri S, Athmanathan S, Reddy S. Holden BA, Rao GN. Adherence of Acanthamoeba to human corneal epithelial cells recovered from normal non-lens wearers and asymptomatic contact lens wearers. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye, 1999; 22(4): 110-5
Selected Projects and Grants
- EU project – University of Hyderabad, Co-investigator: Optometry schools from Nine different countries come together to develop optometry curriculum for lifelong learning (OCULUS PLUS). Duration 2017-2020. Budget – INR 80,00,000/-
- Co-investigator, BRNS project titled “Exploring the potential of lacrimal gland stem cells in restoring the damaged function through cell therapy” Duration 2019-2021; Grant award INR 35,00,000/-
- Co-investigator, Ocular photosensitivity in different age groups and in dry eyes in collaboration with L V Prasad Eye Institute.
- Consumer and dispenser awareness safety norms of Contact lenses and Ophthalmic lenses. 2019-2020
- Occupational hazards and effects on eye in Stone crushers, Ranga Reddy Dist. Hyderabad 2018 – 2019.
- Ocular surface changes in post refractive surgery patients, contact lens wearers, dry eyes disease and in patients using anti glaucoma medication.
- Operation eyesight Universal grant INR 900,000/- to establish an eye clinic to the underprivileged and myopia school screening projects 2019-2020.
- Faculty in 3rd Scientific Meeting of the Asia Pacific Society of Cornea & Refractive Surgery held at Hyderabad, India from January 31 to February 2, 2002. Spoke on “Contact lens binding”. Also, took part in panel discussion: “Contact lens – related inflammation and infiltrates”.
- Presented a scientific paper on “Conjunctival cytology changes in subjects wearing disposable hydrogel lenses on daily and six-nights extended wear schedule” during Indian Eye Research Group Meeting in 1998 at L.V.Prasad Eye Institute and All India Optometry Conference in 2000 held in India.
- Presented a paper on “Microbial Keratitis associated with Frequent Replacement Hydrogel Lenses” during international symposium on cornea and Contact Lens held between 1st and 4th January 2002 at L.V.Prasad Eye Institute.
- Presented a paper on “Contact Lens fitting in Keratoconus” at SERI-ARVO conference held at Singapore National Eye Center, Singapore between 6th and 9th February, 2003
- Presented a poster titled “Rigid Contact Lens fitting following multiple refractive surgeries” at first SERO- ARVO meeting on research in vision and Ophthalmology from 6th – 9th February 2003, Singapore
- Presented a poster as a co-author titled “Contact Lens fitting following LASIK” at first SERO- ARVO meeting on research in vision and Ophthalmology between 6th and 9th February 2003, Singapore.
- Presented a paper on “Are silicone hydrogels are epithelial friendly?” at 5th Asia Cornea and Contact Lens Conference held at Suntec Convention Centre, Singapore between 4 – 5 May 2008.
- Presented a poster on “Contact Lens-associated Microbial Keratitis trends in South India from 2001 to 2011 from a Comprehensive Eye Care Centre” at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology between May 6 and 10, 2012, at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.A.
- Presenting a paper on “Vision loss and disease severity in patients with contact lens-associated microbial keratitis” at Academy 2012 Phoenix between 24 and 27 October 2012.
- Presented a poster on “Interleukin 6 polymorphisms in patients with keratitis” at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology between 5 and 9 May 2013, at Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- Delivered a talk on “So you’ve graduated…what’s next?” at 36th All India Optometry Conference held between 6 and 8 September 2014.
- Presented a poster on “Prevalence of refractive errors in urban schoolchildren in India: the Hyderabad eye study”. ARVO 2015. Abstract No- 2936 D0058
- Presented a poster on “Association of toll-like receptor gene polymorphisms with bacterial keratitis”. ARVO 2015, Abstract no 4812
- Designed, implemented, and delivered various educational seminars for India Vision Institute (IVI). Work with IVI program managers to facilitate these programs. between 2014 and April 2015.
- Delivered an invited talk on assessment of functional visual components at iFocus post-graduation ophthalmology training workshop, Hyderabad, India. Jan 2019
- Conducted a workshop on Evidenced based optometry education at Vidyasagar College of Optometry, Kolkata. Jan 2019
- Delivered invited talks on Risk factors of Myopia and managing Scleral contact lenses at Science City, Kolkata Optometry Summit. Jan 2019
- Delivered an invited talk on Evidenced based practice in research at Research Methodology workshop conducted by School of Medical Sciences, University of Hyderabad. Feb 2019.
- As a co-author, presented a paper on the sensitivity of isolated bacteria during corneal infiltrative events of Melimine Antimicrobial Contact Lens (MACL) wear clinical trial at British Contact Lens Association Conference, Manchester, UK, May 2019.
- Presented a talk on Gap analysis in Optometry Curriculum at Erasmus Plus Oculus event, University of Polytechnica, Barcelona, Spain, April 2019.
- As a co-author, presented a paper on Ocular Sensitivity in healthy eyes at IERG Aug 2018, Hyderabad & Kochi Optometry Conference, Oct 2018.
- As a corresponding author, presented a paper on Construction of tear lipid layer 3D profile at IERG Aug 2018, Hyderabad & Kochi Optometry Conference, Oct 2018.
- As a co-author, presented a paper on Contact lens induced corneal infiltrative events during extended Melimine Antimicrobial Contact Lens (MACL) wear clinical trial at American Academy of Optometry, San Antonio, USA, Nov 2018.
- As a co-author, presented a paper on Does extended Melimine Antimicrobial Contact Lens (MACL) wear effect the ocular microbiota? at American Academy of Optometry, San Antonio, USA, Nov 2018.
- As a co-author presented a poster on Comfort and biocompatibility during extended Melimine Antimicrobial Contact Lens (MACL) wear clinical trial. at American Academy of Optometry, San Antonio, USA, Nov 2018.
- Attended – 1 day e-Course development workshop at e-learning Center, UoH 17 July 2018
- Organised one day conference on current perspectives in Vision care at School of Medical Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Mar 2018.
- Invited speaker – Optometry and role in avoidable blindness, Secunderabad Lions club & PVRI Mar 2018
- Delivered invited talks on Risk factors of Myopia and managing Scleral contact lenses at Hitex, Hyderabad, Nov 2018.
- Community Health Worker’s Training on Vision Screening for the Elderly at CHC Toopran, Medak district, telangana Held on march 15th and march 16th 2018.
- Co-author presented a paper on Reduction in Contact Lens-induced Adverse Events by Antimicrobial Contact Lenses at ANNUM, Japan, July 2018.